Authors: Sarah Day1
1SARDI NVA Clare
Funded By: GRDC DAS00162-A
Project Title: Validating recent research on break crop options in the low rainfall zone to determine the best options for the different climate, soil type and biotic stress situations.
Peer Review: Penny Roberts
- Break crop performance was highly variable across two Mallee sites, Pinnaroo and Yarrara, in 2018.
- Faba bean was a relatively low risk crop at Pinnaroo, but higher risk at Yarrara.
- Lentil, field pea, lupin and vetch were not profitable as grain crops at either site.
- Several frost events occurred during September at Pinnaroo, as a result there was no grain yield for field pea.
- In poor seasons when crops are drought or frost affected, there are potential end-use options that could reduce financial risk or benefit the subsequent crop.